We’re looking for someone who above all has:
- an aptitude for IT
- a helpful attitude
- excellent communication skills
Our work frequently involves supporting projects in different timezones around the world. This means there will be some overnight and weekend working.
Helpful Digital designs and delivers training projects to help a range of exciting clients get better at using their digital channels. We use our own online platforms for this training, including the Social Simulator.
Our business is growing. We need someone to be our first line of support for staff and clients, to help with the administration and smooth running of these platforms and projects.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help deliver projects that are changing the way large organisations think about the internet. It’s also a great opportunity to learn new skills and we’re prepared to invest in the development of anyone who can readily demonstrate the flexibility and attitude we need.
We anticipate 2 types of candidate for this role:
- A web confident generalist with great organisation, who enjoys learning/exploring new technologies, and an interest in learning about web development or server management.
- A social coder – a background in web development or systems administration, looking to be involved in the wider business, and spend time internal and external client facing.
About the role
- Job title:
- Platform Manager
- Reports to:
- Technical Director
- Line management:
- Responsible for no direct reports unless otherwise agreed
- Location of work:
We have an office in London that you are welcome to work from part- or full time, when restrictions allow. Alternatively this role can be fulfilled entirely from home, in the UK or anywhere else in the world
- Hours of work:
- 40 hours per week, flexible
Applications from people seeking part time work or flexible arrangements are welcomed. Please note however that this role demands some overnight and weekend working in order to fulfil projects in other countries
- Holiday entitlement:
- 25 days a year, plus 8 bank holidays (or 8 paid public holidays if non-UK)
- Salary and benefits:
- £30-40,000 per year depending on location, plus 5% employer’s pension contribution. Laptop and home working setup budget provided
- We deliver digital communications training and consultancy around the world. You will be supporting consultants as they prepare and deliver projects; managing the deployment, configuration and archiving of our web platforms; and triaging technical support requests from clients.
You will have:
- Confidence in operating varied computer and web systems (training on specifics will be provided)
- An organised, can-do personality – this role will vary day-to-day as you respond to internal and external client needs
- Aptitude for, and interest in, digital technology and services
- Flexibility – as we deliver work across the world you will sometimes be required to work ‘unsociable’ hours or be on-call
- Excellent English language and communication skills
- Friendly and approachable personality: you enjoy talking to people and helping them out – online and in person, and you’re able to get on with a wide range of different styles and personalities
- Our platforms run on a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stack. Experience with or an interest in these, WordPress, or systems administration is beneficial. There will be scope to be involved in systems management and development for the right candidate.
Day to day this role might include:
- Triaging requests on our helpdesk
- Helping the team with IT requests – purchasing, calendaring, creating documents
- Deploying and archiving platforms using simple command line tools
- Configuring platforms using their web interfaces
- Gathering feature requests and gathering/testing bug reports from the team
- Helping consultants configure platforms and answering questions about them (How do I …?, Can the platform …?)
- Monitoring the platforms and servers using web interfaces, and helping with maintenance
- Testing platforms / features under development or before sharing with a client
How to apply
Send resume & covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are not accepting approaches from recruiters for this role.
Closing date 30th April 2021.
About the company
At Helpful Digital we help world-class organisations raise their teams’ digital performance.
A practically-minded, consultancy-based firm supported by world-class digital products, we offer:
- digital communication strategy – helping you shape a practical plan for your channels and team that really engages your audience
- digital corporate communication skills – training, coaching and self-paced learning to equip your team with the skills they need to be effective corporate communicators in a digital world
- digital crisis preparedness – making sure you have a crisis plan that’s adapted to the modern media environment, and your team has the confidence and practical skills to deliver under pressure
Founded in 2010, we’re a relaxed and friendly team with offices in London and New York, with clients and agency partners all over the world.